Thursday, April 10, 2014

REVIEW: Law Man (Dream Man #3) – Kristen Ashley

Released: February 4th, 2012

Four years ago, Mitch Lawson moved across the breezeway from Mara Hanover and she fell in love with the tall, good-looking police detective who had an uncanny ability to dress well even though he’s single. It was not a stalker kind of love; she knows she has no hope since Mitch is way out of her league. That doesn’t change the fact that he’s her dream man.

Then one day Mara’s faucet won’t turn off and she knows nothing about plumbing. Being a good guy, Mitch offers to help then he invites himself over for pizza. Mara gives it a go but finds herself running away from him (literally) on their first date, standing him up their second and then she runs into him (again literally) on her way to save her ne’er do well, criminal cousin’s kids who’d just run away from their ne’er do well, criminal Dad.

Suddenly, Mara finds she has on her hands the guardianship of two kids and a gorgeous police detective who’s willing to do anything to help out… including giving fabulous foot rubs.

But Mara knows who she is and where she came from and she knows Detective Mitch Lawson is better than her. Hot law man Mitch disagrees and his challenge is to convince Mara to let go of her past and he sets about building a family at the same time he finds he also needs to protect them all against known and unknown adversaries that would tear them apart.
"I was wrong. I didn't like the real world. I loved it. Because it felt like a dream."
Law Man is one of Kristen Ashley's best. But, then again, all her books are way too fucking good. Here we meet Mitch Lawson, the smoking officer who can arrest me anytime and who's teaching Mara, his sweet and amazingly thoughtful neighbor, how to truly see herself. This novel was dripping with humor and hot sex and sexual tension and, last but not least, electric-strong connection. It was the perfect blend of everything packed into one sweet deal!

Shiiiit, I read this book a while ago so bear with me if I forget a few (or a lot) of details. Nevertheless, I remember this was one of my favorites off the Dream Man series. Mitch Lawson is mm-mm-mm!

If you've read Kristen Ashley's books before then you'll know that all of her male heroes are alphas. And they're smoking hot. Protective. Super good in bed. And not to mention, loving. When they fall in love, they fall hard.

We are introduced to Mitch Lawson here. Well, not technically introduced but we get to know him better here.

And I definitely like what I "see".
"Since that moron you used to date left the picture, I've been waitin' for my shot and it sucks that it comes with you cryin' in my arms and those kids learnin' early that life can really suck. But if takin' that shot means puttin' up with that shit and comes with you bein' where you are right now rather than hiding behind your door retreating into that world in your head, I'll put up with that shit in order to take it."

Hell, man, if you can't get Mara with those words, I don't know if the whole dictionary will even work. 

What I really, really love about Kristen's male protagonists is that they can be blatantly honest at times and they sound kind of rough, but when they open their mouth to say something sweet, it'll just melt you like hot butter on a stove.

Then, of course, we've got sweet, sweet Mara. What's different about this heroine is that she's the one with the kids instead of the guys. The other dream men all had children because they've probably been married before. But here, it's the girl that comes with the load and Mitch is more than happy to accept. I love her for all the same reasons that Mitch does.
"You're sweeter than I expected you to be, funnier, more loyal and I expected all that to be phenomenal so, I gotta tell you, baby, it pleases me no fuckin' end to learn that reality is off-the-charts."
Whew, wow. Mr. Lawson has a way with words.

Then we also have the extra supporting characters including some of the other dream men:
When Hawk Delgado, Lee Nightingale, Luke Stark and Kane Allen entered a room, you took notice. You didn't, the'd note that disrespect. They were all major players in Denver.
Holy. Shit.

And Kane "Tack" Allen has always been one of my faves so my heart broke when I read this line:
"Wonderin' how I keep missin' my shot at the good ones."
After Gwen, then there's her. BUT NO WORRIES, TACK GETS HIS OWN BOOK (Motorcycle Man)!

MY RATING:
4.5 APPLES!!!!!

✭ BOOK LINKS ✭
   
(Click book cover for Goodreads link)

♕ Mystery Man (Dream Man #1) ♕
Amazon | Barnes&Noble | My Review

♕ Wild Man (Dream Man #2) ♕
Amazon | Barnes&Noble | My Review

♕ Law Man (Dream Man #3) ♕
Amazon | Barnes&Noble

♕ Motorcycle Man (Dream Man #4) ♕


Kristen Ashley was born in Gary, Indiana, USA. She nearly killed her mother and herself making it into the world, seeing as she had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck (already attempting to accessorise and she hadn't taken her first breath!).


Kristen grew up in Brownsburg, Indiana but has lived in Denver, Colorado and the West Country of England. Thus she has been blessed to have friends and family around the globe. Her posse is loopy (to say the least) but loopy is good when you want to write.

Kristen was raised in a house with a large and multi-generational family. They lived on a very small farm in a small town in the heartland and existed amongst the strains of Glenn Miller, The Everly Brothers, REO Speedwagon and Whitesnake (and the wardrobes that matched).

Needless to say, growing up in a house full of music, clothes and love was a good way to grow up.

And as she keeps growing up, it keeps getting better.

Check her out in these sites:

 ✻ ✻ ✻


No comments:

Post a Comment