Saturday, October 19, 2013

[Review] Axel - Harper Sloan

Released: July 24th, 2013

Fate hasn't always been friends with Isabelle West. In fact, fate has been a downright bitch.

Isabelle has learned the hard way how hard life can be when fate isn't by your side. It can hand you dreams on silver platters, but it can snatch them right back and hand you nightmares. One thing Isabelle knew for sure fate was consistent with was taking away everything she ever loved.

For the last two years Isabelle has been slowly clearing the clouds of her past. Happiness is finally on the horizon. She has a thriving business, great friends, and her life back. All she has to do is jump over the last hurdle… her ex-husband.

When problems start causing her to fear her new life, and memories that are better left forgotten start rushing to the surface the last thing she needs is a ghost from her past to come knocking on her door. 

Axel never thought he would look into the eyes of Isabelle West again, and he wasn't sure he wanted to now. He's carried his anger for so long he isn't sure he can just turn it off, but when he is faced with protecting her and an unexpected desire to have her again, life gets a little more complicated.

How will Axel and Isabelle deal when all their cards are put on the table and everything they thought was true blows up in their faces?
"Fate might hate me, but that doesn't stop me from hoping one day she forgets about her favorite chew toy. When that day comes I hope karma has some fun with that bitch, fate."
HOLY MOLY!!!

Axel is an unbelievably enjoyable combination of intense action, passionate, smoking romance and more than a smidgen of angst. It was a roller coaster ride from the beginning and I couldn't put the damn book down because it kept me going.

Now, this book. Wow. One fucking word. Wow. I bloody loved all of the characters, even though Axel could be frustrating at times, but the story? A FUCKING PLUS. It was heart-racing and undeniably emotional. I loved every single bit of it.

I'm not going to discuss the whole freaking story with you guys since you guys are going to (yes, you are going to, get a copy for yourself) to read it. So I'll talk about the awesome characters and the awesome writing style.

Isabelle has received a vast amount of shit from fate. She lost her parents right after Axel left for the military then she lost contact with him. Not to mention the secret she's keeping. It was like a holy-shit-I-feel-so-bad-for-her kind of thing. But, despite all that crap, she managed to get her life back on track. And I love how honest and loud she can be.
"Axel Reid, you wake up right now! Get your paws off my tit and call your dick off its search for my pussy, he found it asshole, now back off."
I somehow just really like it, despite the crude vocabulary, when the characters are just really straightforward. It's refreshing compared to those damsel-in-distress types. Whenever I read something sassy coming from Isabelle's mouth (like this one below):
"Good morning, your assholiness. What do I owe this esteemed pleasure?"
I just go:

And then there's Axel. [swoons off a fucking cliff] He is the definition of a full on alpha male. He's dominating, crude as fuck, extremely possessive, etc etc. He is smoking. If I touched him, I'd probably have to extinguish the fire in the Pacific ocean. 

Some girls don't like crude guys but I find him really hot when he does dirty talk. Sweet Jesus, that man could drench panties in seconds. Exhibit A (DO NOT READ IF YOU'RE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH SEX TALK, just sayin):
"Can't speak, huh baby? Just think how good it will feel when I bury my cock deep inside that warm pussy, when I fuck you so hard you will feel me for days."
And he has so many more of these. So. Many. Fucking. More.

I also adored the supporting characters. Greg is motherfucking awesome okay. He is the type of guy I want to have as my big brother. Dee is the sweetest, I love how much she genuinely cares about Izzy. OH AND MADDOX! God, I love that man. He's so thoughtful.
"Girl, you look like a drowned raccoon. All that black shit you chicks use, is all over your face. Go clean up before I'm forced to call animal control to come take your ass."
Well, most of the time.

SWAY! YOU CANNOT FORGET SWAY!
"Oh Izzy, girl how do you let him get dressed. A shame, oh it is a shame to let that man ever put clothes on."
"Oh my honey Jesus. You did NOT tell Sway that you knew this fine mountain of a man, no you did NOT. Holy goodness Lord above, I need a cold shower after that girlfriend."
Most of the time, I find myself cracking up thanks to this man right here. Let's have a round of applause for him.


Minor Faults:
  • Axel gets too frustrating sometimes

MY RATING:

FOUR APPLES!!!!!

★ Goodreads | Amazon ★

Harper lives in small town Georgia just a short drive from her hometown of Peachtree City. She (and her 3 daughters) enjoy ruling the house they dubbed 'Estrogen Ocean', much to her husbands chagrin. Harper has a borderline unhealthy obsession with books; you can almost ALWAYS find her with her eReader attached. She enjoys bad reality TV and cheesy romantic flicks. Her favorite kind of hero--the super alpha kind!

Harper started using writing as a way to unwind when the house went to sleep at night; and with a house full of crazy it was the perfect way to just relax. It didn't take long before a head full of very demanding alphas would stop at nothing to have their story told.

Check her out in these sites:

No comments:

Post a Comment